Here are some lessons we have learned along the way:
- Make friends early. This sounds crazy but it isn't. The more people that see how sweet your child can be the less groans you will get once she melts down on the floor of the airplane. It is never a bad idea to bring treats for your fellow passengers. Last flight I had my daughter hand out candy to everyone- they were suckered.
- Travel at appropriate times for your kid. I know prices and convenience come into play but so should nap time. My daughter has managed to sleep through many flights because we planned the flight around her nap time.
- Pack snacks. Lots of them and have them readily accessible. The worst thing that can happen is snacks being tucked away and you can't get them.
- If you are nursing or baby is still taking bottles be prepared to pop the kid on it. Their little ears can often hurt and the sucking motion makes their ears pop.
- Be prepared for anything but also know that we were all little people once. Sometimes adults can be less than friendly but you'd be surprised how some are more than willing to go out of their way to help you. Just remember it will be over soon, I promise!