Quick, easy, and healthy alternative to those frozen (high fat, high calorie) mozzarella sticks. From gathering my ingredients to the plate took 10 minutes and you get a crunchy treat for under 100 calories for you and the kids.
What you need:
· 3 part-skim mozzarella sticks (I used Light Sargento Mozzarella)
· 1/3 cup bread crumbs (mine were whole wheat)
· 1 Tbsp Italian seasonings
· 3 Tbsp egg substitutes or egg whites
· Cooking spray
· ¼ cup lower-sodium marinara sauce
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and seasonings to pan. Cook until toasted. Be warned, this happens quickly (about 2 minutes) and there is a fast line between toasted and burnt.
- Place bread crumb mix and egg substitute in bowls, creating a little assembly line.
- Cut mozzarella sticks into 15 pieces. Working with one piece at a time, dip cheese in egg then cover in bread crumbs.
- Place cheese in baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is soft and thoroughly heated.
Calories: 72 Fat: 4g Carbs: 5.4g Protein: 5.8g
Recipe adapted from: Skinnymom.com